Worry Less, Live More

Worry Less, Live More

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

I Vote for....





I voted today. But unlike previous years I didn't just "copy" my parents or my husbands vote.

I looked into each candidate myself. However, it is extremely hard to make an educated assessment when you only begin to look into the candidates two days before voting day, which sadly I did. But it sparked an interest in my mind.


I started wishing I had followed them throughout the year and watched more debates. I hate politics. I hate it because I don't understand it and frankly, I don't understand it because I've never really put much effort into learning about it. But how can I fully appreciate the sacrifice of others when I don't fully understand what they died or fought for? And how will I teach my children to love their country when I can't even explain the rules that govern her?


I'm setting a goal for myself this year. As members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints we are taught to increase in knowledge. In both spiritual and secular things. I feel I am only doing myself a disservice by remaining ignorant of not only political but worldly matters. (and by "worldly" I mean world politics) So, I know it will be a long and painful journey for my poor brain, but I want to increase my knowledge and put more effort into understanding the politics that make my country so great.

And if you do something long enough you're bound to love it eventually right!? Just like dishes! Oh, wait...bad analogy...

But, just like dishes, if you don't care about them enough to do em' no one else will ;)




2 comments:

  1. If it makes you feel any better I have been listening to the debates with Greg and after all that information, I have learned that just because a candidate says something doesn't mean they are telling the truth. So hopefully you don't get as discouraged with the whole process like I have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have watched all the debates as well, and it is still hard to decide who to vote for! But I'm excited for you that you are learning more. I just posted my opinion about Mitt Romney on my blog.

    http://www.amandaswafford.co/journal/

    ReplyDelete