Worry Less, Live More

Worry Less, Live More

Friday, October 11, 2013

A Place of Peace



 I have been wanting to have a special Family Home Evening about the temple for a looooooong time. 
I want my boys to learn to love the temple and to recognize that peaceful feeling that comes from such a holy place.We were finally able to set some time aside a few weeks ago to visit the temple as a family and just walk around the grounds. 

We started our FHE by telling Collin that he needed to get dressed in his Sunday clothes because we were going somewhere special. He knew what the temple was and loves to drive by it when we go to visit daddy at work, so I told him that this time we were actually going to get out of the car and walk around the temple. I explained that we needed to wear nice clothes because the temple is the house of the Lord and we should show our reverence in our dress and our actions. (I think this speech was a little lost on him because as soon as we got there he wanted to race us around the Temple. This of course is the opposite of reverent) 

 We sat on one of the benches in front of the temple and had a 2 min. lesson. I reiterated why we needed to be reverent at the temple and that it was the Lord's house and Michael told Collin that this was where mommy and daddy came to get married and added that Collin could go inside one day when he's older if he keeps choosing the right.
We then walked around the whole temple as a family and just enjoyed the peace and the time together.
The lesson was short and simple, there was no "ah ha" moment for Collin and half the time I wondered if he was even listening. 
But I'm learning to accept that not EVERY spiritual experience will have an immediate impact. And that's ok. Sometimes I think I need creative lessons with games, activities or treats that match the gospel principle I'm teaching in order to keep Collin engaged. And while those things are great and totally fun, sometimes simple is better. Sometimes you just need to let your children feel the spirit and just be still. Teaching with the spirit is way more important than teaching with "fluff". And even though my simple lesson might not have sparked that "ah ha" moment with Collin now, I know he felt the spirit and I know that this experience, and others like it, will stay with him and grow to impact his testimony in the future.

I'm so thankful for the eternal blessings of the temple!
The temple opens my heart and gives me more love for my family here on earth, and gives me the promise of an eternal bond with them in heaven after we die.We LOVE the temple!   

No comments:

Post a Comment