Worry Less, Live More

Worry Less, Live More

Saturday, April 16, 2011

My Child ate WHAT!?


Disclaimer: If you have entomophobia (fear of insects) you might not want to read all of this post.

This week has been slightly stressful. Collin had his 9 month appointment Wednesday and he didn't get a good review. He had lost weight since his 6 month checkup weighing in at about 13 pounds 1 ounce. He's always been on the small side but since he also hadn't grown in height the Dr. was a little concerned that he wasn't getting enough milk. So he told me to start supplementing with formula to see if we can get his weight back up. To a strictly breastfed baby this was not met with a ready willingness. In fact it was met with screaming and tantrums. For three days we struggled to get him to take formula. (I say we, but it was mostly Michael because I'm a pushover)

One day, during our struggle I was down on the floor trying to distract Collin after one of his crying fits and he found my nursing cover. He brought it to me, crawled into my lap and looked at me with pitiful eyes. He broke my heart. Finally, after much prayer I got the idea to put applesauce on the bottle nipple to get him to start sucking and it worked! I have to constantly keep applying applesauce to the nipple but he downs the whole bottle! Chubby baby here we come! Too bad I can't give him some of my fat.

entomophopia's STOP reading now! And whatever you do, DON'T scroll down!

you really want to now don't you?

Anyways, the day after his Dr. visit we met my aunt at my grandma's house to clean and get her place ready for her since she had been out of town. Collin disappeared on me and when I went looking for him I found him in the kitchen among my grandma's canned food. I picked him up and on closer inspection I saw a little hairy leg on his cheek. I told my aunt, "Oh I think Collin just ate a cockroach." She came over and said, "um...I think he's STILL eating the cockroach."
Now, I HATE cockroaches. The fact that Collin had eaten one didn't really bother me as weird as it sounds. I mean, the Dr. said he needed more protein right? But the thought that I would now have to reach my hand in his mouth and touch this disgusting insect was starting to creep me out. We looked into his mouth and sure enough, there it was! I stuck my finger in his mouth to try and dig it out, but Collin was refusing to give up his latest snack. My finger brushed against it's hairy body and I let out a shriek which of course scared my aunt and made her scream, which in turn made Collin start crying because two adults were screaming at him. But with him crying that meant his mouth was wide open so my aunt Patti reached in and grabbed it before Collin could finish what he started. Thank you Patti for saving us both!
On closer inspection of the roach we noticed it's head was not there... and i found another leg in Collin's spit up a little later. Apparently cockroach doesn't sit well with him. Who would have thought?

And as if that wasn't enough excitement for one day, Collin fell of the bed for the first time that night. I won't mention the name of the parent who wasn't watching him. Let's just say his nickname is "daddy" ;)
At least I don't let him fall off the bed. I just let him eat cockroaches and rubber bark from the playground:)

2 comments:

  1. ugh! glad he's ok from his ordeals :) your family pic is SO cute too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate to tell you this won't be the last gross thing you fish from a little boy's mouth... LOL eewwwwwwww! Good idea about the applesauce.. what we Mommies do to get our kiddos to eat what they need to.

    ReplyDelete