Worry Less, Live More

Worry Less, Live More

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Goin' Courtin' - Date #5

Picnic in the Park

When Michael and I were dating he surprised me after class one day and said he was taking me to lunch. Imagine my surprise, when instead of pulling into a restaurant we pulled into an office building. He told me we would be having a picnic and would be eating the "Martha Stewart" lunch he had prepared. (This turned out to be chicken wraps he had made and peaches!) He spread our blanket on the grass by a pond and we began to eat our romantic lunch. After we ate we played the "I Like" game, where each person takes turns saying one thing they like about the other person. It was the perfect date! So, almost 4 years later I decided to recreate it. Except this time we'd have a little tag along, a 2 1/2 ft. ball of energy named Collin :) I made the same lunch and put it in our picnic basket and then told Michael to get in the car because Collin and I were taking him on a picnic. We drove to the park and set up, but unfortunately this date was anything but romantic. Between the weird lady who sat down 5 ft. away from us and watched us the whole time, the kids throwing bark on the playground and the 2 1/2 ft. ball of energy trying to talk over us, it was kinda hard to gaze adoringly into each others eyes. (Do people even do that after they get married? Every time I see Michael looking at me I think it's because I have something in my teeth or something on my face!)
Anyways, believe it or not we did get to reminisce briefly on that date many years ago, but just as we were getting to the good part I looked down and realized why it had gotten so quiet. Collin had gotten into our cookies! He had one in his mouth and was going for another one. The kid doesn't even have teeth yet.
So, even though our picnic wasn't very romantic it sure was entertaining and I can't stop chuckling about it now.

Disclaimer: For a romantic picnic find a more secluded spot than a public park and, if you bring your own ball of energy along, they WILL steal your cookies!

Just so they can be like dad:)


4 comments:

  1. haha Sounds pretty perfect nonetheless (though you should just start staring back at the old lady to creep her out too).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where do you go on a picnic if you don't have grass? I find that is my problem here in AZ...sounds like fun. You're so cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmmmm....maybe you could buy a square piece of that outdoor carpet that everyone uses here in Florida and make your own grass ;)

    ReplyDelete