Worry Less, Live More

Worry Less, Live More

Monday, September 10, 2012

 Labor Day we.......labored! Well, sorta.
Michael and his dad rented a carpet cleaner and spent the morning at the bookstore cleaning the carpets. Afterwards they brought it over to our house and gave our carpets a much needed cleaning.
 To give the carpets some time to dry we went and spent a few hours at the pool!
 I was really wanting BBQ for dinner so my parents were suppose to drive over to my aunt and uncles and borrow their grill since they were out of town and wouldn't be using it. 
Well they came back with a grill alright but it wasn't my uncle's. They came back with a brand new grill just for Michael! The meat was sooooooo good! Thanks mom and dad!
 Collin became a little too "hands on" with the grill so we made him come back inside so he could pester uncle Logan :)
 Unfortunately, our Monday ended much too soon and it was back to Seminary and work. Usually, Michael gets home from Seminary around 7:15 and starts studying for a Seminary lesson. I'm suppose to get up at 7 so that I can keep Collin entertained and from bugging his dad to play with him. But Tuesday I didn't get up! I jerked awake much later than I should have and came out to find Michael and Collin reading together. Collin loves his daddy time and I'm so thankful they both let me sleep in :)
 Even though our fun Monday was over that didn't end the excitement around here! 
And yes, that is a baby pig on my back porch :)
One of my mom's friends said that a relative of theirs in Florida had a miniature pig they were having to get rid of. My parents live on a little farm in SC where they already have ducks and have been babysitting a goat for several months. My mom had been contemplating adding another animal and since the pig was free and they would be down here in Florida anyways she said she would take it. The pig isn't suppose to get much bigger than it is in the picture and it was supposedly up to date on all it's shots. So the lady dropped it off to us on Tuesday. 
 It really was a good pig. It only squealed when you tried to pick it up and was very friendly. There were a couple drawbacks though. For one thing it was a boy pig and hadn't been fixed so of course it got very friendly with people's legs and Collin's big yard ball. And because he wasn't fixed he constantly had a weird smell. Also, when mom called his old vet to see about his shots and how much it would cost to get him fixed she discovered that his previous owners hadn't returned to get his booster shots so she would basically have to start all over. They gave her a list of 6 or 7 shots he would need to get with each one costing $31. Then he said to get the pig fixed it would cost $700!!! Not only that but he had tusks that would need to be filed and hooves that would need to be trimmed regularly. Once she got the price on everything she realized this pig was going to be way too expensive! So in the end, Piggy Smalls was only with us for 4 days. But we found a really good home for him with a vet tech! She has a nice barn for him to live in and will even be giving him a little girlfriend in a few months. (I feel real sorry for the girl pig)

 We had fun with him for the few days he was with us and Collin really liked him. 
Two little human piggies are enough for me though :)
 Collin has discovered that all he has to do is just say the word "pop" to one of his grandparents and he gets one. I think this was his third one of the day. I love how they both look so innocent in this picture.
And see the McDonalds bag in the corner? Grandpa goes out and brings Collin back a hash brown almost every morning. I hope he doesn't get use to all the pampering because his parents aren't nearly as nice.
 Saturday The Arnsdorff's came over to hang out and my uncle helped my dad install attic stairs! 
Apparently Collin isn't the only one being spoiled ;)
 Doesn't it look good?
 Collin took a break from the hard work to put puzzles together with great grandma Brown.
 And later, he and Logan went out to play with this gigantic ball my Aunt brought over and spent and HOUR blowing up!
 It was a very relaxing and enjoyable Sat. Having family in town certainly makes the week go by faster!

 School! 
We continued school again this week. Logan brought his school down with him too so it worked as a nice distraction for Collin. This week we added the alphabet to our curriculum. Most of the ideas for the alphabet came from this site Preschool Alphabet
She already had the whole year planned out so I totally stole her ideas. I changed a few things that seemed like they would go over Collin's head but this has been such a great resource!

  Tuesday: A is for Ants 
 We started the day reading books about Ants. The Preschool Alphabet (PA) suggested reading "Two Bad Ants", which we did, but the story was a bit too long for Collin to keep his concentration. I had also checked out "Are You and Ant?" and "The Life and Times of the Ant" He seemed to do better with these books. They provided lots of pictures and little facts about ants so we could skip pages if he wasn't interested. I actually learned a lot of things I didn't know about ants. It kinda made me hesitant about squashing them when I saw them in my house.......but just for that day :)

Since Logan was here we tried to do the ant experiment the PA suggested. We put the plate by an ant hill in our neighbors yard since no one lives there and they had a huge ant hill, but Logan stepped on the ant hill and stirred the ants up to where they were too busy repairing their mound to care about the plate of food.  We decided to leave it out overnight, but when we went to check on it the next morning the lawn company had come and run over everything so I guess we"ll never know who won the bet. (Mom and I thought they would go for the syrup while the boys thought they'd go for the lemon cake.) 
  

 Collin outlined the letter A with fingerprint ants. Some look like they've been squashed :)
 Wednesday:A is for Apples
 We read the book "Apple's to Oregon" Collin actually liked it and listened to the whole thing even though it was a little long. then we played the 5 little apples game.
 The shape this week was triangle so we glued triangle roofs onto houses. I had just cut the different shapes out of construction paper and since Collin loves to glue it was a hit.

 This weeks number was 3 so we glued three stripes on our bee. Again, a big hit.

 (And that is the extent of my artistic ability right there)
 Thursday: A is for Alligator
This was a really fun day. We read "Lyle, Lyle Crocodile" which technically is about a crocodile and NOT an alligator, but it was the only cartoon book I could find at the library and I wasn't about to bring a book home with REAL pictures of alligators! Those are banned from our house just like Shark Week.

I did let him make the alligator A though.


Then we played the 5 little monkeys game which I also stole from the site.
 Collin really really liked this! I think we played it about 3 times.
 Friday: A is for Animals
Books: The Biggest Kiss, If You're Happy and You Know It: Jungle Edition, Way Far Away on a Wild Safari, and If All the Animals Came Inside.
Collin loves looking at animals so I took full advantage and we read tons of books that day.

And I know I got these next two ideas from the PA website too, but I don't think I put them with the right day. Oh well, they're animals right?

 I had Collin match the baby animals with their momma.
 And then I cut animals in half so he would have to match them up like puzzles. I laminated both these games and he has played with them over and over again.
 I got the idea from the PA Site but I think I used the animals I found from my DJ Inkers Critter Craze program I have. And I have no idea why my child is half naked in almost all these pictures. I think it's because he kept begging my mom to play outside in his water table and after him soaking the third outfit of the day I just gave up :)
 Saturday: A is for Airplane
Book: Pilot Pups (Collin's absolute favorite from all the books this week) it combines puppies and airplanes, what boy wouldn't love it?

We were suppose to make paper airplanes as the activity but we had too much going on that day as you can see in the pictures above. So we ended up just tracing A's and the number 3 and then playing with red balloons to practice the color red.

We also colored the airplane alphabet banner and I hung up a few of his A and number 3 activities in his room so we could go over them every night before bed.


To see more alphabet ideas check out the Preschool Alphabet site here. She even has all the lessons on printable and ready to use calendars!

No comments:

Post a Comment