Worry Less, Live More

Worry Less, Live More

Monday, March 5, 2012

Goin' Courtin' - Bake-O-Rama



I almost ruined date night this week...

Michael is so busy. He teaches seminary in the morning, comes right home and prepares a lesson, and then goes to work. After dinner he plays with Collin, helps me put him to bed, and then he studies his lesson for the next day before going to bed himself. He has roughly an hour every day to do what HE wants to do. And despite having very little free time he agreed to plan our date night every 2 weeks.
This past week was his turn, so Saturday after he came home from work we sat down to have dinner. As we were eating he said the only thing he could think of to do was bake something together. I took inventory of our pantry and knew very quickly it was bare and would require us to make a trip to the store. I looked down at the pj's I had been wearing for the past three days. My face must have had this disappointed look on it because Michael said, "judging from your face you don't seem too thrilled with that idea."

I felt horrible! Here sat my wonderful husband (who I DID NOT have to remind about date night by the way) sharing his idea with me, and I totally put him down with my lack of enthusiasm! Can you get any lower?

I quickly realized I needed to change my attitude. So I put real clothes on and we ran to the store to pick up the ingredients. We got home and put Collin down and then we made homemade chocolate chip cookies together.

The date itself was great, but the highlight of my night came when I realized that Michael cared about me enough to not only remember, but to actually plan a date. And when I acted like a jerk he didn't get upset or offended. He just forgave me.

So learn from my bad example: appreciate your husbands dates no matter what they are. And realize that the fact they actually want to spend one on one time with you is way more important than what you actually do.

1 comment: