Worry Less, Live More

Worry Less, Live More

Friday, May 3, 2013

Jumping into Homeschool!



I once read this article regarding homeschool called, "Taking the Plunge!"
I laughed when I saw it because that's exactly how it feels when you decide to do something huge...like homeshooling.

I was homeschooled from 4th to 9th grade and even though I know the ends and outs, I still find myself overwhelmed at times. It's a whole new ball game being on the teaching side than on the learning side. 
As a homschooler I always felt like I had to prove I was smart enough. I don't know how many times I was told that I lived a sheltered life and would be overwhelmed with the "Real World" when I got older. I will admit that I did have a sheltered life in the fact that, I wasn't surrounded by profanity and other degrading things day in and day out. But that doesn't seem to have stunted my emotional or intellectual growth at all :)

Now as a prospective homeschooling parent, I'm still feeling the pressure. It's just coming from myself more than it's coming from others. 

How do you know which curriculum to use?
What if I'm a horrible teacher?
What if my kids don't learn well from me?
How the heck do you even get started!?

See what I mean by overwhelming?
I finally came to the conclusion that you just gotta do it! You just gotta jump right in and then things will start to fall in to place.
Homeschooling my children is something I've always wanted to do. I love having them near me and I love watching them learn new things.
So I did my research, read TONS of articles, visited TONS of homeschooling blogs and I think we're finally ready!
Now granted, Collin is only 3 (or will be in a few months) so he's technacially not old enough to be considered as "schooling age," but that doesn't mean he's not old enough for me to start teaching him. 
So.......our offical Tot School starts next week and will take us all the way through next year when he will start Pre-K!
I think we're both excited to take the plunge!

No comments:

Post a Comment