Worry Less, Live More

Worry Less, Live More

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

That's Gonna Leave a Mark

It is a well known fact that if your child is going to get deathly ill...or in Collin's case, fracture his leg...that it will NOT happen on Monday, it will not happen on Tuesday or Wednesday. No, it will always happen on the weekend.

Saturday started like any other day. Michael left for work around 8:30am and shortly after that Collin flung his cereal and milk all over the kitchen floor. As I was picking up soggy fruit loops and debating on whether I was now gonna have to mop the entire floor, I heard a "plop" from the bathroom. "Great! Collin's thrown yet another toy or stuffed animal in the toilet again!" However this time, it would be far worse. I rushed to the bathroom and looked down horrified to see my cell phone completely emerged in yucky toilet water! Collin of course, took off in the opposite direction. (smart kid) I took the phone apart, dried it off as best I could, and placed it in a bowl of rice. I was optimistic that it would work once it was dry, but I realized that I wouldn't have a phone for the rest of the day.
(another sign that more sinister things were about to happen)

Fast forward a few hours to when Collin falls and takes a tumble down a steep hill. I knew something serious was wrong when he wouldn't put pressure on his leg and just sat there shaking and crying. I couldn't see or feel any bone sticking out so I figured it was probably just a bad sprain.

It was Saturday so his pediatrician wasn't in and I really didn't want to do the whole ER thing. So after running over to my neighbors and borrowing her phone to call Michael, we decided to just wait and take him in on Monday. He had calmed down by now and as long as you didn't bump his leg he was fine.
So, 4 days, 2 dr. appointments, and 2 hours at the orthopedics later, the doctor diagnosed Collin with a fractured fibula.
Collin was so good during the whole thing so I let him pick out the color for his cast. He picked green...
(I was kinda pushing for the baby blue myself, but green it was!)

So, initiation to boyhood is now complete!

And if you're wondering if a fractured bone slows a child down...it doesn't...

No comments:

Post a Comment